Monday, February 23, 2009

God & I





I draw strength from the Gita


SPIRITUALITY IS a personal experience. I believe in the existence of a supreme force which controls this universe. Different religions have explained this manifestation in various ways but all lead to one supreme force.

Nee deivam enru unar”, poet Bharathi has so succinctly expressed the meaning that this force is all pervading and exists within us. Rites and rituals attached with every religion are secondary.

Simple living and highs thinking were the principles that were inculcated in me from childhood. I have always believed in the dictum that we should treat others the way we would like others to treat us.

My father has always been a source of inspiration and strength to me. One should do his/her duties without compromising on principles. I draw strength from the Bhagwad Gita and believe that there is a solution for every problem in the Gita.

Sri Ramakrishna Paramashamsa said that essence of Gita is tagi, the word one gets if the word “Gita” is repeated rapidly. Tagi in Bengali means renunciation or sacrifice.

At the end of the day we have to ask ourselves whether we have conducted ourselves in a righteous way and make amends and correct ourselves if we have not. Three most important things in life are to be kind, good and do well. The synergy of action and words helps us to realise the God within us.

Published in Deccan Chronicle – open page on 04.02.2009

No comments: