நண்பர்களுக்கும் வாசகர்களுக்கும் தமிழக காவல்துறையின் பரிமாணத்தை நினைவூட்ட இச்சிறு வலைப்பதிவை பயன்படுத்திக்கொள்கிறேன்.
16th Century – Pedda Naik with a posse of Talliars or watchmen was the earliest Police Officer in City. This was a hereditary post. The original strength was 20 in 1640, increased to 50 in 1650 and to 100 in 1701.
1770 – Board of Police Constituted by the then Governor Josios Du. Pre. The board was mainly concerned with removal of public nuisance, maintenance of public health and order.
1777 – Governor Straton appointed `Kotwal’ or overseer of markets to control prices of commodities in the market and to make the tradesmen `behave’.
1780 - Post of Supdt. of Police was created to supervise the markets and to reduce the prices of provisions.
1782 – Comprehensive plan for the police prepared by S.Topham who stated in his plan that the objects of general police are to promote health and to prevent impositions and frauds.
May 1791 – Institution of Kothwal Police abolished as there were complaints of extracting more money than was due from the merchants. The office of ``Poligar’ (Synonymous with `Pedda Naik’) restored. In view of legal difficulties in raising taxes to meet the expenditure on the police, citizens raised fund by voluntary contribution.
8th August, 1806: The City Police Committee suggested various reforms for the reorganization of the police. The recommendation of the police committee were accepted by the Governor Lord William Bentinck, Mr. Walter Grant became the first regularly appointed Supdt. of Police of the City with three Police Magistrates.
1815 – Mr. Thomas Harris, Supdt. of Police, Madras formulate in his report to the Government, the city pattern of policing, dividing the area into eight divisions for effective control.
1829 – 32 – Mr. George Norton, Advocate General submits his recommendation for reforming the police as per which the city was divided into four districts namely Black Town District, Triplicane district, Vepery District and St. Thomas District. (Santhome)
1834 – Mr. Francis Kelly and Vambaukkam Raghavachariar became the first Indian to be inducted as Police Magistrate and Dy. Supdt. of Police.
1856 - Police Act XIII was passed by the Legislative council of the Governor General. The Act designated the head of the Town Police as Commissioner of Police. Lt. Col. J.C. Boudlerson became the first Commissioner of Police under the new Act. He was to be assisted by the two Deputy Commissioners of Police.
1858 - Mr. W. Robinson covenated Civil servant appointed as Chief Commissioner of Police (IGP). The proposal submitted by Robinson forms the basis of the present day district Police. Police is primarily responsible for preservation of peace and prevention of crime.
1859 – Act XXIV passed on 6th September 1859 which formed the beginning of the Modern Madras Police. This act was also the forerunner for the police Commission set up by the Government of India in 1960, in which Mr. W. Robinson, Inspector. General of Police served as a member.
22.08.1895 – Finger Print Bureau established in Madras
1902 – The Madras City with an area of 29 sq. miles and a population of 5,09,346 had the following police set up. The city was divided into two police ranges, the Northern range in the immediate charge of Dy. Commissioner of Police and the southern Range under the direct control of the Commissioner of Police himself assisted by a Chief Superintendent. The Northern range had 4 divisions including the Harbour and the southern Range 5 divisions including Reserve. The total strength was Cop-1, DCP-1, ACP-1, Chief Supdt. –1, Inspectors-12, Sub-Inspectors-12, Europeans and 9 Indian, Head constables-14 Europeans and 140 Indians, Constables - 12 to 14. An intelligence Department called the “Harcarrhs” consisting of 1 Inspector, 2 SIs and 4 HCs was formed to perform butlees of confidential nature under the immediate order of the Commissioner of Police.
1902 – All India Police Commission set up. Mr. H.A. Stuart, Inspector-General of Police, Madras Presidency was appointed Secretary of the Commission.
1905 - The Police Training School was strengthened and equipped to train the new cadre of Sub-Inspectors who were to replace the old Station House Officers (Who were of the rank of Head-Constables).
1906 – The Criminal Investigation Department – was started on 18th August, 1906, Mr. F. Fawcett was appointed the Dy. Inspector-General of Police with a staff of 6 Inspectors, 6 SIs, 12 HCs and 12 Police Constables.
1909 – King’s Police Medal instituted for Gallantry and Distinguished Service.
1912 – Presidency Police Sports came into existence
1919 - Diwan Bahadur P.Parankusam Naidu was appointed as Commissioner of Police the first Indian to occupy the post.
1919 - Mr. P.B. Thomas, I.P., became the first Police Officer to be appointed as Inspector-General of Police to head the Police Department.
1921 – Malabar Special Armed Police was formed in the wake of Maplah rebellion and the first recruitment was undertaken by Mr. Hitchtcock, District Supdt. of Police, South Malabar.
1923 – Mr. H.G.Stakes appointed as special officer for re-organization of Armed Reserves and special police parties.
1928 – The CID was divided into Special Branch and Crime Branch with separate staff for each.
1929 - Madras City Police re-organised and functional division of crime, Law and Order and traffic introduced.
1931 - The statutory Rules for the Madras Police Subordinate Service came into force.
1935 - In order to enlist public co-operation ‘Village Vigilance Committees’ were constituted.
1946 – Police Wireless commissioned.
1947 – Mr. T.G. Sanjeevi, became the first Indian to occupy the post of Director of the Intelligence Bureau, New Delhi.
1951 – Madras Police Dogs Squad was formed and Tamilnadu became the pioneers in India after Independence to use Dogs in the prevention and detection of crime.
1956 – Police Radio Office opened.
1971 – Tamilnadu Police Commission set up. The commission suggested various schemes for modernization of force which were implemented.
1979 – Post of Director-General of Police created to head the Police Department.
1989 - Police Commission appointed under Chairmanship of Thiru Sabanayagam former Chief Secretary.
1991 – Uniformed Services Recruitment Board constituted for the recruitment of personnel in the non-gazetted category for the uniformed departments – Police, Prison and Fire Services
1992 – First all Women Police station, opened at Thousand lights, Chennai headed by Inspector. Subsequently similar all women police stations were opened in all districts
1994 – Coastal security Group first of its kind in the Country constituted to strengthen security of 1000 kms long Tamilnadu coast line.
1995 – Police headquarters shifted to Admiralty House, govt. Estate, Chennai to facilitate renovation of the antique mosaic building.
1996 – Tamil Nadu Commando force, Tamilnadu Commando School, elite forces to combat terrorism/organised crime constituted.
1997 - Swift Action Force formed to deal with communal riots. The personnel constituting the force would be imparted specialised training to use less lethal weapons in riot control, fire fighting, rescue operation and awareness on Human rights.
1998 - The renovated DGP’s office complex the pride of Tamilnadu Police was inaugurated by Hon’ble Chief Minister on 28.08.98.
2000 - Dawn of Millennium. As on 10.03.2000 the Police Department has a strength of 90,963 spread over 29 Police districts, 6 Commissionerates, 2 Railway Police Districts, 11 Police Ranges and two zones.